Tuesday, October 27, 2009

So I felt the need to post...

Yes...I did feel the need to post something on here...I felt that I came off sounding a little mad in my last post and so I wanted to apologize to you all for that. I really am not mad...a little sad...maybe...a little bummed...yeah...but I'm not mad. And I've now had a few days to really sort through all of this and I'm doing a lot better. I am not jaded by the whole process...in fact we are already in the book again...we figure we might as well not waste any time for people to see our profile. And yes I do still think there are things about the whole adoption process that still are not great...but maybe, just maybe I'll be able to help do something about them someday. Like the whole wait time...the backing out time...here in Minnesota it is 10 working days...that's 14 days total...I think that is too much time...I think it makes the birth parents wonder if they are doing the right thing since we give them that much time and tell them that they can back out if they want to within the 14 days. I think that it makes them question their decision that much more. And I know it's a very important decision...one that takes a lot of thought process... trying to decide if this is what they really want. But when they sign the papers they should be at a place in the decision making process that they are ready to just sign and be done. They should not be able to change their mind and devastate another couple. Because I'm sorry...once you find out that there might be a baby for you...and especially once you get to meet that baby...people may tell you don't get your hopes up...guard your heart...but once all that happens it's so hard to do...your hopes are already up...way up. And I'm glad that Jon and I are people that fully give our hearts and jump in with both feet. I'm glad to live life that way...it's a good feeling to give without reserves...even if it means that your heart may get broken. Nothing ventured...nothing gained. So anyway...I write this post to try to soften the way I might have sounded in my last post. We really are excited where God is taking us. And we are really excited to hopefully build our family through adoption. We think it's an amazing opportunity to be given. We can't wait to meet our new member of our family. And selfishly...we hope that it is sooner rather than later! On to other news...well...there really isn't any other news. A couple Fridays ago Jon and I went to a Joel Hanson concert in the cities. He was playing in a church up there and having his CD release party/concert. It was really good...but I've always loved Joel. We even were seated right across the aisle from his wife and daughters...it was really fun seeing his one daughter get into the music with her little friend. You could tell that they were hoping that they were getting his attention...I think they did :) And other than that we are just busy with work...Jon is trying to get the crops out but the weather hasn't cooperated very well...too much moisture...we sure could have used a little of it this summer. And now all the leaves are changed and are falling off the trees. And did you know that there is only 8 weeks left until Christmas?!? Crazy huh?!? I just counted it out today as I was making appointments for people...the crazy time is about to begin in my line of work...I better get rested up! Well thank you for all your prayers...we sure do appreciate them. Have a great rest of the week!

8 comments:

Brittney said...

Hi Ali! First of all, I don't think you sounded angry in your last post... far from it! Plus if you are getting angry about injustice there is nothing wrong with that!

I like what you said about getting attached right away - I think we all did (even those of us who didn't meet her - can't imagine how much more I would have loved her!) but it just feels so natural to welcome her into the family and into our hearts immediately! I am praying right along with you that the baby you are meant to raise will join the family soon!!

Finally, sorry I'm one of the people who want a haircut before Christmas - ha ha. :) I love short hair but boy am I getting SHAGGY!

Feldman Family said...

Thanks Britt for making me feel better! I just didn't want to come off sounding bitter about all that happened these last weeks! I have always chosen to become better instead of bitter when going through situations and trials...so I was a little worried that I came off sounding mad. And wasn't she so cute! And such a a good baby...I wish you guys could have met her! Oh I would have loved to have her in our family! Yep...my heart was totally in it! And...don't worry about the hair...I am also one that wants my hair looking good before Christmas...way too many pictures taken for us to have our hair looking bad! And...I love your short hair too...looks soooo cute on you! How about a few carmel highlights?!? Just a thought!

Anna said...

Ali, I didn't get mad out of your last post either. The adoption laws do sound frustrating... 2 weeks is a lot of time, especially after adoptive parents have met a child already.

I'm so happy to hear that you are back in the book already. I'm really hoping and praying that you get to bring home the child God has picked out for you soon.

It is amazing that it's only 8 weeks until Christmas... I was thinking of that myself this morning... of course since my due date is the day after I can do that countdown by how many weeks I have left LOL. Wish I lived closer to you so I could come get an awesome haircut for Christmas! :) Well, assuming I would could get out of bed of course. :)

Anonymous said...

Never apologize for jumping in and embracing all the life moments that come your way. It was only natural to automatically fall in love with Novalee right away and begin to think of her as your daughter. And it was only natural to feel such frustration when she was taken away. Life is extremely unfair in so many ways, but never give up hoping and loving with all your heart. It was kind of like that with all the moves we had during your growing up years. Each time we moved, I would tell myself that I wasn't going to make a good friend or anything so that it wouldn't be hard when we would likely eventually leave that place. But that's not how God made us to be. I love all of the people we've met along our journey in life (well, I love most of them anyway-ha!) and it would have been sad if I had chosen to not make friends and love new people. Even though it a lot of times hurt to leave and say goodbye, I was so grateful for the people I met and how they enriched my life. Novalee was meant to cross our path and she will be well covered in prayer all her life by our family. And now we wait with great anticipation for the next little one to come along to love and steal our hearts away! I love you to the moon and back dear Ali (& Jon)!!

Big hugs,
Mom

possemom2 said...

Hi Ali I am also so sorry to hear of your ordeal. Britt kept us up to date. Somewhere out there a baby will be born-or already is -that will be yours to love forever! I agree with you that the laws are not fair to the adoptive parents. You are right that the signing should be the end of it. Hugs and prayers! Can't wait to see you next week! Lynne

Anonymous said...

Sweet Ali,
There was no "mad" in your previous post - we are all hurting with you! I love you - if love could take the hurt away - you would never ever experience it in this lifetime or the next! And your mom's comment here made me cry cause I thought - what if she indeed decided not to make friends because you certainly weren't here in Muncie very long - what if - but here we are all these years later, (or at least me) grateful for friendships that are God-given. We can have lots of friends in our lives, but the ones who actually share in our journey are the ones God brings in special ways who are forever friends.
Going to Lisa's in a couple of minutes for a Halloween rummage sale. Cold out. Yikes. I know there is a little one who will soon be blessed to be a part of your family. I can't wait to hear that good news.
much love, mary g.

Mark & Jennie said...

Thanks for sharing your heart - love you so much!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Looking for some news, Ali! How are you anyway? What are your holiday plans. Lots of love to you and Jon!
love, mary g