Monday, November 23, 2009

I have made my mom proud!

Okay...I should probably clarify that I tend to think that I always make my mom proud...and I think she would write that in the comments section for me...but I've taken another step in my life that I think makes her really proud of me. You see...for my 20th birthday my mom gave me a sewing machine. I was super excited about getting it...I was living out in South Dakota that summer and they came out to visit and celebrate my birthday with me. I was so excited that I went to the little Ben Franklin (anyone remember those?!?) out there to start buying supplies 'cause I was going to sew. Well I got my stuff bought...and then I realized...I don't know how to sew! I mean...yeah...I can follow a line and put my stitch in but really...I don't know how to sew...let alone operate this sewing machine my mom bought for me. So you know what I did?!? I didn't even open up the box...I didn't take it out...I just left it in there! I have had moments in the last 8 years that I have wanted to take it out...but never felt I had the time. So...a couple weekends ago my mom and I finally got together and she taught me how to sew and how to use my machine...and let me tell you...it's a lot easier to use than I thought it would be! I know how to thread it and how to put thread on my bobbin (not bobber...I had to remember that!)...those were the two things I was really worried about learning. Well I'm not saying that I am an expert by any means but...I think I did a pretty good job for my first time! I still need to learn to control the speed of my foot pedal and my stitches still need a little work to stay in a straight line...but I think I'm getting the hang of it...which I'm really glad for 'cause I've seen a lot of cute projects that require sewing so now I can attempt to do them! :) And I want to give back to the hospitals 'cause they gave so much to us when Emmalee, Owen, and Cooper were born...we got special blankets with each of them that people donated...so I want to be able to give back because I know how much it meant to us to have them. But man...the one real thing I learned about sewing is that fabric is expensive! WoW! Oh well...it's the price you pay when you have a hobby...am I right scrapbookers!?! And really it's a small price when you enjoy something and you know your work is going to a good cause. So anyway...here's my work:



This was my first project...a quilt made out of scraps that my mom had at her house...I think it turned out pretty cute for only being scraps! But it was a nice way to learn and piece fabrics together...I was pretty proud of myself (if you can't tell!)



Then we went shopping and I picked out some fabric for myself...I had seen this blanket (or one kind of like it) in a magazine...I just liked that it was colorful and all the fabric had polka dots (if you can't tell...it's a little hard to tell from this picture and I think it's so much cuter in person!)...so I made this for hopefully a little one of my own someday...but until then it actually is a very nice little lap blanket...I was way proud of how this one turned out! :o)



Then I just wanted to show you the underside of the blanket...its called minkie (I think) and it's really soft and is textured with...polka dots!




Then I attempted to make a purse...not bad, eh?!? I'm going to keep working on my purse skills and maybe look for a different pattern...but I think it's pretty cute! Okay...I'm done patting myself on the back.

In other news...well there really isn't any other news. Sorry I've been MIA again...just sorting through things and really...it's been busy around here. I cannot believe that Thanksgiving is this week! Crazy! Happy Thanksgiving to all of you...where are you going to be? Hopefully surrounded by family, friends, and lots of good food! And then with Christmas only being 4 weeks away...yes I said it!...work is getting awfully busy...so I'm sorry that I haven't gotten on here to give any updates. No real updates on adoption...the baby girl is still with the friend of the birthmom and supposedly they are going to be adopting her now...and changing her name...which was a big sticking point with the birthmom (she was dead set on us keeping her name)...so why they are changing it now...I don't know...but I do think more and more that we were part of some twisted game that this friend was playing with us. Poor baby girl...I hope she makes it through life alright. Jon and I were looking through the foster care website MN has and it just breaks my heart to see all these kids in foster care...they are mostly teenagers...their parents obviously thought they could raise them and then couldn't...messed most of them up for life by the sounds of it...one little girl can't even go to a park with a lot of people there 'cause she gets too scared! One little boy can't have any other siblings in a home because he needs that much one on one time! I don't know...my heart breaks for them and yet right now I personally don't think that I have the energy it would take to bring one of them into our home. Maybe someday. I just hope that they all get placed with good families...but I know that's just wishful thinking. I just wish that our laws looked out for the innocent children instead of the birthparents who really don't have any business becoming parents...I know I know...everyone has a right to become parents...but look at these kids and tell me that they don't deserve a chance. I have heard it said before in the adoption circle...if people who had these children had to go through the paperwork and all that we've gone through there would be a whole lot less messed up kids in this world...and sorry to say...I think it's true. Anyway...I'll get off my soapbox...I sure do get up there a lot on here don't I?!? Anyway...we are still praying for a Christmas miracle...wanna help us pray for that! My dear friend Chelsea said that they are praying that way...thanks Chels and Phillip! And I thank you all for praying for us and coming along side of us through this journey. You know...maybe kids aren't what God has for us and I think that will become clear someday if that is true...but right now I don't believe that and I think someday we'll be blessed with a houseful! Well I guess that's the news on our end...I probably left something out. Hope you and yours have a wonderful Thanksgiving and I'll try not to make it so long in between next time...I know I know...I always say that! Take care!

12 comments:

Anna said...

Your sewing projects are fantastic! Congrats on learning to sew. (I can't... maybe someday...)

I truly have a hard time thinking that God wouldn't have plans for you and Jon to parent living children... you would provide such a wonderful home for them, it's hard to imagine that God wouldn't want two such caring people, who obviously have such a strong faith as well, to raise and influence children. I continue to pray that you and Jon (soon) get to be parents again, to children that may outlive you.

Happy Thanksgiving to you, Jon and your families!

Stephen and Michelle said...

Wow, your sewing looks great!!

Praying that God blesses you this Christmas, even if it is not the way you expected...maybe it will be better!! :)

Michelle

Meghan said...

I have wanted to learn to sew for a long time but I feel like I already have too many hobbies! Great Job.

The Athearns said...

I am impressed! Love the purse--super cute! :)

You guys are always on our hearts and in our prayers. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and Christmas!

~Amanda

Anonymous said...

Yes...mom is proud!! I loved our weekend together and I hope we can do it again sometime soon! And we'll drag Britt into it and teach her to sew also!! We all need more hobbies - ha!

Love you!
Mom

Anonymous said...

Wow, Ali, I'm impressed. I really liked the purse. I'm a straight line sewer, myself - you can do a lot with minimal sewing abilities. Obviously - your quilts are really nice. Good thing too is that it doesn't really matter if your lines are perfectly straight or not.

Have a great Thanksgiving! God has a plan - it's still there! Love you much, mary

Candie said...

Your quilts and purse are beautiful! I'm a decent sewer, but I've never sewn a quilt or purse.(I'm too scared). What a way to give back. Joann's has flannel on sale this Friday for $1.49 a yard. Out here, the ladies that make blankets for the hospitals are in line before 6 a.m. on Friday. They are an awesome group of ladies to talk to. We have also been praying that God would bring a baby to you by Christmas. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

possemom2 said...

I am impressed with your sewing Ali! Your projects look great! When you get bored you can bring your machine down here, I will give you some madrigal outfits to work on! Have a happy Thanksgiving! Our love to Pearl and everyone! Lynne

admin said...

Your sewing skills are great, especially for just starting! Keep it up! Ditto on what you said about the foster kids- my parents are foster parents (they've fostered over 30 kids) and I grew up with 4 siblings, plus always 1 or 2 foster kids living in our home too. My parents are in their mid 60's and STILL taking in foster kids- infants, drug preemies, toddlers, teenagers, anyone who needs love and needs a home. I really believe in foster care, and even though it seems overwhelming, GOD will sustain you and guide you through it. These are kids who need love the most! Always praying for you guys and for your miracle on the way! :)

Unknown said...

T-shirt quilts were my first projects even... made one for each kid. They turned out pretty good, if I might say so myself. Love it when I see them snuggled up in their blankets which hold so many memories.

Aunt Sue
(And, we'll keep praying for your miracle!)

Mark & Jennie said...

you should definitely start an etsy shop, friend - I would so buy some unique Ali Felman products!!!! LOVE!

Jeanine Waal said...

Ali, you did a great job on your sewing projects! My daughter and her two daughters both love polka dots and I have made all of them polka dot quilts. This year I made my daughter a polka dot apron for Christmas. I have never sewn a purse, but have made many quilts, and a lot of them have gone to the hospital in Iowa City. I do a lot of charity quilts and love doing it.

I just read your blog today, and am so excited for you and Jon about your baby!! I trust and pray all will go well with the adoption process.

In case you don't remember me, I am your Aunt Georgia's sister-in-law from Oskaloosa.

Blessings on you and Jon, and Happy New Year!