Monday, February 23, 2009

We're back!

Hey all! I know I told you last week that I'd try to keep in touch with you while we were gone...but as you can see...I failed! Actually we kept so busy while at Faith's Lodge that I didn't even have time...when we finally got back to our room at night we just crashed! I told Jon that they were pretty tricky there...they kept us busy and occupied without us really realizing it! I don't know if I mentioned it in my last post that we were actually going to a place called Faith's Lodge. It's a retreat center in northern WI that is just for people who have lost a child or has a terminally ill child. We had already planned on going there this week...it was a week for only couples that had lost baby's...and so we went ahead and still went...and it was good for us to go. We met a lot of nice couples there...there were 7 couples total...and it's just nice to connect with others who know what you are going through. While we were there we painted bird houses, rocks, made bracelets, and luminaries...we laughed because who knew at our age we would still get into painting birdhouses and such but it was therapeutic...and all of us agreed that we were taking more time and being very diligent about it because it was for our kids and when it comes to them and their memory, we want everything to be just perfect. So since our rocks were going out on the Bridge of Hope path...it had to be perfect...after all...Emmalee, Owen, and Cooper's names were being represented out there! Hope all that made sense...I feel like I am just rambling here. When we got home yesterday though it felt like everything came back crashing on us...the reality of the whole situation. We are still coming home to an empty house...one that could have been filled with one child with the expectation of two more to join us in June. But...this is not the path that God has led us on...and sometimes that seems like a hard load to bear. Please be in prayer for Jon this week as he is going back to work. In someways I know it will be good for him...he needs the fresh air and he needs to be doing something. But in other ways I know he is not ready to be back at the real world thing. It's tough going through this...it plays with your mind and body. Like we both have said...we feel like we are in a funk. And we just feel...blah. Anyway...some prayer for him would be great. And while we are on the subject of Jon I just want to brag about him a little. God surely did know what he was doing when He brought Jon and I together. I could not imagine going through all of this without him. He is such a strong rock for me to lean on and he does anything and everything for me. He is always catering to my needs and sometimes I feel guilty about that. But he reminds me that it's only been 2 weeks since I gave birth...he was so helpful while I was pregnant...always getting up to get me a glass of water or anything for that matter. He is such a great guy and I couldn't be any more in love with him. And I just want to publicly thank God for him and I'm so thankful that he is so grounded in Christ and with our faith we will get through this together! Well I'll get off my soap box now but I just wanted to share a little about my Jon with you! In other news I did meet with my Doctor down at Mayo...so far they have not received the blood work back so we still aren't sure why I dilated but he is assuming that I did have an infection that caused me to go into pre-term labor. He doesn't think that it would be an incompetent cervix because I had no problem carrying Emmalee to term. But he did say that the next pregnancy will be the longest 'cause I'll be in to see him every week...they'll do ultrasounds at every visit to look at the cervix length and they'll do swabs to make sure I don't have an infection. I don't know...I think it might go faster not having to wait 4 weeks in between to make sure everything is okay! But we are so happy that he said it is possible to have more children...he thinks this is a...and I hate to use this word..."fluke" thing. Again...I have to remind myself that things or situations happen for a reason and God will use this for good. Right now I'm having trouble with that but I will get to the point where I will accept that fully...right now I only half-heartedly accept it. I still want my baby boys with me. And as far as getting pregnant again he said to wait for one cycle and that's your body's way of saying that it is ready to go again...so we'll see. I asked about carrying twins again since we do use fertility treatments...it is possible that it may happen again...and he said he does not see a problem with that...so...we'll leave it in God's hands. He obviously has a plan for us. Well I'll let you all go back to your lives and I'll quite rambling. Thanks for checking in on us...it truly does mean the world to know that so many of you care for us!

8 comments:

Candie said...

So glad to hear that you had a good trip. Hopefully you will be able to find out what caused you to dilate. Those infections are horrible. I had one my whole pregnancy with Curtis and it caused me to go into pre-term labor at 29 weeks. I am now dealing with an infection this time around. The problem is, my body is resistant to the medications. Would they even consider a cerclage just to make sure your cervix doesn't dilate again? We will be praying for a healthy and non-eventful pregnancy for you.

Anonymous said...

I know of someone else that had an infection which caused her to lose her 1st baby at 21 weeks. I hope that they will find that out for you guys. I'm glad you were able to connect with others in your situation at camp. Jon and you are lucky to have each other!! Prayers continue...Lynne

Unknown said...

Love you Ali!
Jon, we are thankful for you and your love you have for Ali!!:)
Thanks for taking good care of the little momma.
You're all still in our prayers!
LOVE YOU TONS!!
Glad you had a nice trip

Anonymous said...

Ali, Ali, Ali - you are too hard on yourself! You and Jon are an amazing couple - I'm sure God is smiling and He sees how your lives are examples of His love. He does have a good plan for you - when you celebrate your 50th anniversary, you'll see where He has taken you - until then, it's okay to have all those feelings of loss and even near despair because you have been through tremendous losses and stresses. Just continue to have the mind checks where you know that you know that you know Who is in control and that He does LOVE you unconditionally and perfectly and He has given you a host of friends who, along with your family, also love you. Keep hanging on!
love to you both!
-mary

Michelle M. said...

It sounds like you had a very nice trip. I pray that the adjustment to being back home will go well. We will pray especially for Jon this week as he goes back to work, but you are all in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I am so glad you were able to go to the week in WI. What a great thing to have - the ache is deep and I'm glad you had that outlet to focus.
love you!
mary

Anonymous said...

This trip sounds like it was a wonderful thing for all of the couples there - they got to meet 2 of the strongest ones ever by meeting you two. Jon, you are such a good man to be so good, thoughtful & caring to your Ali. I'm sure she is to you to though, too! You are so good for each other. You will wonder 'why' for ever I'm sure. It is a blessing to hear of you talking more babies though. You two are amazing.
Love and prayers,
Pat and Janet Kruse.

Hummel Family said...

We are thinking of you guys!!! And praying!

Hummel Family