Monday, August 10, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me!



That's right! I figured I might as well embrace it and announce here that I am one year older! I really do love birthday's 'cause it's the one day a year that you can celebrate yourself...and get whatever you want! Well maybe that last statement isn't true...but I'd like to think it is :) ha! Yesterday we went to the Cheesecake Factory with my family...it was a lot of fun. I don't think my dad had ever been there so while looking at the menu he asked...so what is this place known for...ummm...Cheesecake! Actually I think they do have very good food and one dish in particular is my favorite (Spicy Cashew Chicken) but really, you do go for that piece of cheesecake in the end. My choice...Oreo Mudslide...yum! Today we are getting together with some of Jon's family and going for lunch to a place called Hogan Brothers...it's a little sandwich shop in our town and for your birthday you get a free sandwich and drink...which really is a genius plan since they only have to give away one sandwich and yet I am bringing in all these other people to eat...oh well...it's my birthday and I'll take them up on their free sandwich! I'm not sure what we are doing tonight but I woke up to a note from Jon that he'll try to take off early so we can go do something :) Hmmm...what to do, what to do...

I feel like we shouldn't go out an do anything since we were just on vacation...that's right...I didn't mention that we were going on vacation! That's because I heeded the warnings that they've been giving on the news not to mention things like that on your blog or your Facebook page so people don't come and rob you...although I'm not sure I have anything worth stealing but I still thought I'd play it safe! We had a wonderful vacation though...our first real summer vacation...we went up to Brainerd, which is only about 3 hours from us but a whole world away! It is so beautiful up there...the lakes are so clear! We have family up there (hi Ross, Debbie, Ellie, and Molly!) and so we were able to spend some time with them...Ross got a boat for us to take out and we went out on Sunday and enjoyed Gull Lake. Man there are some beautiful houses up there...we can just dream can't we! And then for lunch we docked and picked up pizza...what a simple thing but man was that fun! I could sure get use to lake life! The day was perfect and then it had to rain...we got pretty soaked...but we still had fun! Then on Monday we took another boat out from the resort we stayed at (it was a nice little place right on the water...nothing fancy but reasonable and clean and very nice) and went out fishing with the whole gang. I think it was Molly's first time and I think we got her hooked on fishing! Hopefully the rest of her family doesn't mind! We had a good day of fishing...and we caught a few keepers! Mostly bass and sunfish. We had so much fun that we forgot to eat lunch and it was about 3 before we all realized we were hungry and by the time the boys got the fish cleaned it was around 4. After we ate we just went back and relaxed a bit...we were tired from all the sun and fresh air! On Tuesday we went with a guide out to do a little fishing (did I mention that we went fishing on our vacation?!?)...that day I learned a few more fishing techniques...and I learned that I like the easy way of fishing with a bobber and I don't care if I'm just catching sunny's! But it was fun to learn and we did catch walleye and bass. And then that night we went back to Ross and Debbie's for supper and card games...we learned a few new ones and now we can't wait to play them again...it was fun! Then on Wednesday and Thursday we didn't do any fishing but a little shopping (I got a seatbelt purse...I was so excited!...and yes...if you want me to I can post a picture for you!) and just hung around and relaxed! So that's it...Jon had to go back to work on Friday :( and I have to go back tomorrow :( But that's okay...it's good to get back to a routine too.

Well anyway...I guess that's it...I'm sitting here watching Kate Gosselin on the Today show...here are two people that were very blessed to be given 8 beautiful children and here they are throwing their marriage away. Kind of frustrating to watch. I think that's why I am having a hard time celebrating this birthday...feel like I am getting old...and while so many of you keep telling me how young I am I don't feel that way...I feel like time is slipping past and we still haven't been able to have children...I really did think I'd have all my children before I turned 30...that was my goal and if there is one thing I've learned (who am I kidding...I've learned a lot) from our ordeal is that our plans are not God's plans and I have to give him control of my life...I don't have it anyway...He does..but I so wanted to be a young mom 'cause I grew up with very young parents...my goodness...my mom just turned 50 and has a 28 year old...if I'm lucky enough (I mean blessed) I will maybe have a 20 year old by the time I'm 50. And to think back if we would have been blessed to have a baby when we first started trying we would have an almost 4 year old! Plus it doesn't help that 2 years ago I found out on August 8th that Emmalee was on her way to us...just a slap in the face. I think we both are feeling a little down about this...and it would have been a lot different if the boys would have been allowed to stay with us. We know that God has a plan and that we are in this season of life for a reason but it sure would be nice to know the reason or at least just get out of it. I tell you what....it's awful...you start questioning whether you are even meant to become parents or if you should just give up and buy a cabin up north and just be done with it! We don't want to be like that but it is where our thought process goes. Well anyway...I didn't mean for this post to get a downer tone to it...so I hope you all have a very blessed day and I know that I will...after all...it is my birthday! Here are some pictures from our vacation...enjoy!



I love this picture of Ellie with her little fish!




Molly and Me...and our catches (hey...I didn't say any of our catches were huge...we just were having fun!)


Proud papa (Ross) with Ellie...believe it or not...Ross' catch here was not the smallest...I think that honor went to Debbie!


One of the bass I caught on our guided tour...look at my form as I hold the fish...pretty good I'd say! (And sorry...I can't figure out how to rotate these pictures!)
Here's Jonny! And his catches of the day!
Molly, Ellie, and Debbie...and in case you were wondering...yes...it was a little chilly out on the water!
Doesn't this look like a nice boat?!? It was! We were spoiled! Thanks again Ross!

9 comments:

Stephen and Michelle said...

Happy Birthday!!!

Candie said...

Happy Birthday!! Enjoy your Hogan Brothers.(Sure do miss that place). I hope you spend a little time to celebrate with your babies. Curtis says Happy Birthday!!

Anonymous said...

Happy 28th Birthday dear daughter of mine! I meant what I said yesterday...you are a treasured gift to me and I love you more and more each year of your life! Have a fun evening with your husband!

Big hugs,
Mom (& Dad)

Mark & Jennie said...

Happy Birthday Ali!!!! Love, love, love to you on this day!!!

Anna said...

Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Would have loved to see you when you were in our neighborhood. Looks like your fishing success ranks right up there with Cory's. He loves to fish and goes every chance he gets.
Hope you have a blessed birthday.

Meghan said...

Happy Birthday! It is hilarious to see people in sweat shirts! IT is in the 90's here and humid!! Your family is in our prayers. I understand what you mean about the Gosselin family. Sad.

Bunny said...

Happy Birthday! :)

admin said...

Happy Birthday! Are you on FB? friend me! carmin blinn-bortner :) I update with more pics and stuff than on my blogs, because they're public blogs and some stuff I wanna keep just between friends! :) Looks like you had a great vacation!!!